Individual Counseling and Therapy NYC
The decision to start Individual Therapy in NYC is a big step that can be both liberating and frightening. If this is your first time, you may be afraid of the unknown or feel a sense of failure for being unable to “solve your own problems”. If you have had previous experience with therapy and it was unsuccessful or if you had mixed results, you may feel ambivalent about seeing a new therapist. It is important to realize that these feelings are very common and understandable, and we can address your concerns as we begin.
If you have found that you are repeating the same negative patterns, that you are unable to achieve goals you have set for yourself, are in a constant pattern of broken or negative relationships, if you’re unable to recover from or move past trauma, or if you are simply feeling lonely, depressed, angry, stressed or anxious, this is a great time to recognize that you may benefit greatly from seeking individual counseling.
Benefits of Individual Therapy
- Learn to understand yourself and your tendencies which impact your daily functioning and relationships with significant others
- Learn to have a deeper connection to yourself and others
- Identify root causes of depression, anxiety and stress and ways to cope and manage better
- Understand and learn about other interventions that can help you deal with your symptoms
- Address and understand root causes of all your pain and difficulties
- Learn to reduce stress and conflict in interpersonal relationships and your work life
- Heal from individual or family related traumas and struggles
- Improve the quality of your life and your mental and emotional well-being
- Improve your level of confidence and self-esteem in all you do
- Move towards a healthier, more productive and less painful life
My Approach to Individual Therapy
In the first few sessions we will begin by getting to know each other, exploring what brings you to therapy at this particular time and creating a safe space for you to discuss your feelings, emotions and needs. I will ask you questions so I can understand your history, as well as the history of current difficulties, so we can discover the root causes of what is causing your pain and where you may be stuck.
I will work with you to recognize and make appropriate choices rather than rely upon defensive mechanisms and walls you have put in place to protect yourself and help you at the present time. These old defenses or coping mechanisms prevent you from learning how to identify and express your feelings and begin to heal. Counseling for individuals is a collaboration which evolves at individual pace, in an atmosphere of safety, trust, connection and collaboration.
Much of our work together will involve an examination of important past and present relationships and their effect on your character formation, your views of yourself and the world, your coping mechanisms and self-esteem. My experience over many years of practice, has taught me that the deepest causes of pain are often related to or caused by disruptions in intimacy (trauma), separations, abandonments, instabilities and attachment injuries throughout life.
My view is that all pain is trauma based, whether it was catastrophic traumas or more ordinary traumatic incidents. I do EMDR Therapy (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) with most of my individual patients as I find it to be most effective and efficient way of clearing many symptoms and difficulties. My other approaches to individual therapy and counseling are based in Psychodynamic Therapy, as well as Mindfulness based therapies.
Reasons To Start Therapy
Don’t just wait to “feel better”. If you experience any of these symptoms or problems, Individual Therapy will be helpful to you:
- Sadness, depression
- Fear, anxiety, panic
- Difficulties with relationships
- Stress and or conflict at home or work
- Going through a difficult transition
- Feeling badly about your life situation
- Abusing food, alcohol or drugs to help cope
- Isolation, inability or unwillingness to talk to family or friends
- Spending more and more time in front of a computer
As we work together in individual therapy sessions, you will learn how to grow and identify unhealthy responses and habits you may have developed and become aware of choices and be able to be in the present rather than in the past. Therapy is proven to be effective and often has longer lasting results than medication. Every individual’s journey with therapy will differ and every person who comes into my office has unique situations, needs, issues and concerns. Together we will work together to help you find yourself feeling fulfilled, happy and healed from past traumas.
Make An Appointment Today!
Call 212-953-1388 today or email email@example.com to make an appointment with the best individual therapist in NYC – Irina Firstein, LCSW. I am especially accessible to clients looking for the best individual therapist in Manhattan and in all other areas of New York City.
FROM OUR CONNECTIONS BLOG
- Relationship Tips and Ideas from Well-Known Couples Therapy Expert
- How Couples Can Open The Flow Of Communication
- How Do You Know When Your Relationship Needs Counseling?
- When Is It Too Late For Marriage Counseling?
- 5 Things You Can Not Expect From Marriage Counseling
- 5 Damaging Things You Should Never Say to Your Spouse
- How To Make Positive Changes In Your Life
- How Trauma Leads To Depression And Anxiety
- How To Cope With Personal Anxiety Within A Relationship